Here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions we get about our preschool.
Co-op Preschool – Learn more about what it means to be a cooperative preschool in the North Seattle College Cooperative Preschool Program (NSCCPP).
- What is a cooperative preschool? A cooperative preschool like ours in the NSCCPP differs from traditional preschools and daycares in that it is run entirely by the parents of the students enrolled in the preschool.
- How do parents know how to run a preschool? Our parents learn from each other, from our preschool Teachers, and from our Parent Educators from NSC. Together, we work to create a fun and engaging environment for our preschoolers to learn and grow.
- What are some of the benefits of co-op preschool? Though co-op preschools require more parental involvement than traditional preschools and daycares, they also have many benefits. First, the monthly tuition is substantially lower than traditional preschools and daycares. Costs can be kept down because parents hold volunteer administration jobs to keep the preschool running smoothly behind the scenes. Second, the student-to-adult ratio is much lower than traditional preschools and daycares because parents and other caregivers assist the teacher in the classroom. Third, parental involvement in the preschool means parents play a large role in defining their child’s first school experience.
- What do we gain from being a part of the NSCCPP? The NSCCPP provides our overall class structure, our license and insurance, and our parent education. Every preschool class has a NSC Parent Educator who works in class several times a month and leads a themed preschool-age-appropriate discussion during the once-monthly evening parent meeting. The NSCCPP also offers free seminars and lectures throughout the school year. In addition, NSC offers relevant online courses, as well as the Family Connector University though the North Seattle College Parent Education Program. Because of the co-op preschool’s affiliation with NSCCPP, parents are actually considered students enrolled in a Parent Education/Child Study Laboratory at NSC. As a bonus, parents can use their NSC student ID card for discounts in many places student discounts are offered. They can also take advantage of NSC student services.
Enrollment – Learn more about enrollment in our preschool.
- How do I apply? By filling out our online application here.
- And then how do I enroll? To begin the enrollment process, reach out to your prospective class’s Parent Coordinator to schedule a visit during preschool hours. If your child will be two years old by August 31st, you’ll want to reach out to the Pre-3s Class’s Parent Coordinator. If your child will be between the ages of three and five by August 31st, you’ll want to reach out to the 3-5s Class’s Parent Coordinator.
- When should I apply? We start processing applications for the next school year in early February. Please check here for the updated dates. We will then continue to process applications throughout the year unless the class is full. Please check your class’s page to find out whether we are currently enrolling. You can find the Pre-3s Class page here and the 3-5s Class page here.
- I was just notified that I’ve been accepted! Now what? A non-refundable registration fee of $40 is due in order to hold your spot. Please make your check out to “University-Ravenna Cooperative Preschool”, and either drop your check off in the classroom during school hours or ask the Parent Coordinator of your respective class where to send your check. Also, please keep your eye out for information about our all-school Spring Orientation in early May.
Tuition – Learn more about paying tuition, getting scholarships, and fundraising.
- What is tuition each month? Currently, the Pre-3s Class tuition is $105 per month, and the 3-5s Class tuition is $230 per month. We also pay a North Seattle College parent education tuition of $53.80 per quarter.
- Can I pay my tuition online? Yes, while families are welcome to pay their tuition by check at the Monthly Evening Parent Meeting, families can also pay by e-check online through the Jovial platform. Please note that this year there is a $2 transaction fee for every payment made through Jovial, so we recommend grouping your payments if you can.
- Do we offer scholarships? Yes, scholarships are provided by the NSCCP Parent Advisory Council (PAC) and are awarded quarterly. To apply, fill out the scholarship application form and give it to the U-Ravenna Co-op Treasurer after your NSC quarterly registration is complete. All requests are kept confidential. More information can be found online at the NSCCP PAC Scholarship Information page.
- Do we fundraise? Yes, fundraising is important to our mission. Our major fundraiser of the year is the Annual Wreath Sale. We sell greenery items during the month of October and then deliver them around Seattle at the end of November. We also have a School Gear Shop where anyone can buy merchandise like t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, and bags that have our preschool logo and art. We also raise money through Amazon Smile. Shop there anytime you’re purchasing on Amazon, and they’ll donate a small portion of the sales price to our school. It doesn’t cost you anything, but it can add up to a lot for us!